Recognizing that the Persons with Disabilities constitute a valuable human resource for the country and that a majority of such persons can lead a better quality of life if they have equal opportunities and effective access to rehabilitation measures, the Government, with a view to create an environment that provides such persons equal opportunities for protection of their rights and full participation in society, formulated and brought out the National Policy for Persons with Disabilities. The policy outlines specific measures and strategies for ensuring protection of rights of PwDs and their inclusion in the society.
Our college is adopted a disabled-friendly campus policy. To achieve this target and to make the campus Divyangjan friendly, the following facilities are provided for the differently abled students:
- Wheel chairs.
- Ramp for easy access to the main building.
- Washrooms for differently abled students.
- An accessible restroom is designed to accommodate people with physical disabilities.
- We are providing exam scribing (scribe is a person who writes, or word processes a student’s dictated answers in exams) services for the students who are unable to write the examination.
- Our institute also has a counselling center. Special consideration is given to physically challenged students for their confidence building. The center frequently conducts counselling programmes for providing support to persons withdisabilitiesandtheirparents.
- A scholarship awareness class were delivered to the students to help them utilize all the services and benefits offered and sponsored by Government to pursue higher studies or attain employability.
- Study groups were formed to help these students understand the concepts under study which otherwise they found difficult to grasp within the stipulated class hours, with the help of concerned tutors of respective departments.
Prof. Sabeena Balachandran, Associate Professor and Head, Department of Malayalam, Mob-9447553762